Senior VMWare Migration Engineer
GCP Platform Engineering · Utrecht Hybrid Remote
Senior VMWare Migration Engineer
As a Senior VMware Migration Engineer for CTS you will be at the forefront of cloud technology. You will meet with customers, potentially at the early sales stage, assessing and understanding their technical requirements. You’ll take projects from the information and discovery stages, through initial concept and design and on to implementation, build and support.
You will work with a team of experienced engineers, being a point of call for decisions and technical leadership. Exposure to a wide variety of technologies and software is a given and you will be expected to investigate the use of new technologies as they become available.
What you'll do:
- Act as a technical decision maker for delivery projects
- Work with customers to translate requirements into technical designs and follow this through to delivery of the solution
- Design and implement highly available VMware clusters utilising the Google Cloud VMware Engine service
- Migrate Virtual Machines to Google Cloud Compute Engine instances (VMs) using native Google tooling where applicable
- Advise customers on the implementation of VMware Engine deployments on GCP with a vision to migrate workloads
- Develop internal tooling for the wider platform team
- Closely work with other Engineering roles and senior management on the internal technology roadmap for delivery
- Identification of modernisation opportunities within a customer’s existing infrastructure and application estate
- Mentoring members of the team and helping to drive their development
- On-call duties (roughly 1 week in 5)
- Extensive hands-on experience with VMware at scale
- VMware Professional certified
- Solid knowledge of architecture principles
- Experience of migrating Physical and Virtual Machines (P2V/V2V)
- A good understanding of the TCP/IP stack
- Exposure to enterprise networking equipment (Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto, etc.)
- Understanding of application development, delivery and infrastructure automation
- Excellent understanding of the Windows server operating system and associated services (Active Directory, DNS, Clustering etc)
- Good knowledge of SANs and DR technologies
- Experience automating tasks using Powershell / PowerCLI
- Understanding of common VMware third party tooling (backup, etc.)
- Awareness of cloud technologies, and their potential advantages
- GCP/AWS/Azure professional certifications
- Experience working with VMware Cloud on AWS, Azure VMware Solution, Google Cloud VMware Engine or another VMware Cloud Foundation based product
- Experience working with GCP, AWS or Azure
- Experience of other Hypervisor platforms (Hyper-V, KVM etc.)
- A good understanding of infrastructure as code
- Linux system administration/configuration
- Deployment of high availability MS SQL
We have offices in Central Manchester, London, Edinburgh and Utrecht, with options for regular remote working. This role could also be fully remote based in the UK or Netherlands, with occasional travel to CTS offices and customer sites (post-Covid).
What you’ll get:
In addition to the competitive salary, you’ll get private health insurance and company contributed pensions as standard.
We have a multitude of other benefits, including a market leading parental leave policies, health & wellbeing initiatives and access to a discounts and rewards programme (including discounted gym membership)
You’ll be invited to the bi-annual international company ‘kick off’ conferences, which are a great chance to meet your colleagues that you don’t see everyday.
So what’s next?
Contact us directly at email@example.com for more info.
CTS is the largest dedicated Google Cloud practice in Europe and one of the world’s leading cloud transformation experts. We offer a unique full stack Google Cloud solution for businesses, encompassing cloud migration, transformative working and IT infrastructure, through to machine learning, big data and app development.
We have a brilliant team of more than 200 people in offices in Manchester, Edinburgh & Utrecht as well as across our globally remote workforce. But we’re still growing, and that means we need more brilliant people who share our ambition to join our team.