Data Engineering Lead - GCP
GCP Data & Machine Learning · Utrecht Hybrid Remote
Data Engineering Lead - GCP
As a Data Engineering Team Lead you will be at the forefront of cloud technology using your skills in a varied and evolving consulting role. You will lead and develop a team of experienced Data Engineers, Scientists and Analysts in delivering client facing projects.
You’ll be a point of call for technical decisions and leadership alongside line management responsibilities.
You and your team will help diverse organisations use Google cloud and other supporting solutions like Looker to solve complex data challenges.
You will meet with customers, potentially at the early sales stage, assessing and understanding their technical requirements. You’ll guide projects from the information and discovery stages through to implementation, build and support.
You’ll gain exposure to a wide variety of technologies and data approaches, and you will be expected to investigate the use of new technologies as they become available.
You will understand the value of our long relationship with Google, and help to grow and promote our data capabilities within their teams.
If you have a solid data engineering background, great communication and team leadership skills and are passionate about providing a great service for customers, this job would be a great opportunity for you.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and inspire an experienced team of data engineers and scientists, working with them on their skills, personal development and career growth
- Act as a technical decision maker and point of authority for delivery projects.
- Become the go-to-person for delivery and sales teams to help solve Data Engineering problems
- Work with customers to translate requirements into technical designs and follow this through to delivery of the solution. You will be able to design highly available, complex data platforms, and develop others to be able to do so
- Advise customers on modern approaches to data engineering and the best approach to solve their unique problems
- Coordinate project resourcing with other areas of the business, ensuring the right people are in the right place with the right skills
- Design L&D KPIs for your team, helping to grow their skills over time and scale your own knowledge and experience
- Closely work with other Team Lead roles and senior management on the internal technology roadmap for delivery.
- Work closely with our CTO to develop Go To Market strategies for our Data Engineering and Machine Learning offerings.
- Develop internal tooling, and improve processes, for the wider team and business.
- You will love to find ways to do things better
What you'll need:
- A minimum of five years commercial experience in the area of data engineering or machine learning
- Confident communicator both written and verbally
- Extensive hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure), including the use of their data related components to build solutions.
- Experience working in complex corporate customer environments.
Significant Experience in using Python for Data Engineering and Software Development.
- Strong experience building ETL / ELT pipelines, Data Lakes and Data Warehouses
- A good understanding of some of the following:
- Hadoop / Spark
- Apache Airflow
- Apache Beam
- Relational database technologies (Microsoft SQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL)
- Analytical tools (Looker, Tableau, Qlik, Data Studio)
- A solid grounding working with common data modelling techniques and SQL (e.g. MS SQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Strong experience in Google database services like Firestore, Cloud SQL, Big Query or equivalents from other Cloud Providers.
- Experienced in using unit testing and CI / CD
- Ability to think in abstract terms about application structures and strong understanding of security integration implications on this structure
- Working knowledge of data governance principles (e.g. data profiling, data cataloguing, managing access controls, etc.)
- A passion for all things programming, databases, data, big and small
Experience using Git and related tooling
- GCP/AWS/Azure professional certifications. We’re a Google partner, but principles from other cloud providers apply.
- Experience with or knowledge of Google Cloud Platform (e.g. Pub/Sub, Dataflow, BigQuery, Firestore, etc.)
- Experience of developing in Scala or other programming languages.
- Exposure to real time data ingestion / streaming data sources
- Experience in or knowledge of working in an agile project based environment
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Computer Science, Data Science or equivalent education
What you’ll get:
In addition to the competitive salary, you’ll get private health insurance and company contributed pensions as standard.
We have a multitude of other benefits, including a market leading parental leave policies, health & wellbeing initiatives and access to a discounts and rewards programme (including discounted gym membership)
You’ll be invited to the bi-annual international company ‘kick off’ conferences, which are a great chance to meet your colleagues that you don’t see everyday.
This role can be based from any of our offices in Manchester, Edinburgh, Utrecht, or it can be fully remote based. Those who choose to work remotely might be required to travel to customer sites and to CTS offices for specific meetings or events. Travel expenses will be charged back to the business.
Diversity & Inclusion:
At CTS, we look after each other and support everyone on our team. We’re proud of our people-centred culture; our diversity brings us innovation and our commitment to inclusion drives us forward. If you share these values and would be interested in joining one of our teams, get in touch today. You can find out more at https://careers.cts.co/pages/our-diversity-commitments
CTS is the largest dedicated Google Cloud practice in Europe and one of the world’s leading cloud transformation experts. We offer a unique full stack Google Cloud solution for businesses, encompassing cloud migration, transformative working and IT infrastructure, through to machine learning, big data and app development.
We have a brilliant team of more than 200 people in offices in Manchester, Edinburgh & Utrecht as well as across our globally remote workforce. But we’re still growing, and that means we need more brilliant people who share our ambition to join our team.