Principal Data Engineer
As a Principal Data Engineer for CTS, Europe's largest dedicated Google Cloud Partner, you will be at the forefront of cloud technology using your skills for a variety of undertakings.
Using your in-depth technical knowledge and experience, coupled with a keen sense of business concerns and priorities, you will become a highly trusted advisor to our customers and drive internal standards.
Working closely with other engineers on projects, you will ensure that the products and services being proposed are appropriate and aligned to customers’ requirements.
The technical aspects of your role will be a balance of carrying out ‘hands-on’ billable delivery work and thought leadership, such as writing blogs, engaging with the Google technical community and driving the adoption of new technology.
You will also keep up to date with emerging technologies, and regularly complete professional certifications.
Please Note: Previous experience with GCP is not required; experience of other public cloud providers (AWS or Azure) would be sufficient.
What you’ll do:
- Become a trusted advisor to customers by having a thorough understanding of their technical challenges and the relevant GCP technologies, patterns and practices to address them.
- Design scalable, governed and secure cloud data platforms
- Advise customers on modern data engineering and architecture techniques such as streaming, ELT and data mesh
- Develop internal tooling for the wider Data Team, that can help us to do more, and be more effective
- Work with customers and our Pre-sales Team to translate requirements into technical designs and follow this through to delivery of the solution
- Work with the CTS Architecture Team to support the development of Go-To-Market strategies
- Keep abreast of technology developments ensuring the CTS business remains ahead of the technology curve.
- Represent CTS externally with Google and more widely in the market. We can shape this to your skills, e.g. technical writing, or presenting at events, etc.
- Extensive hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Proven experience in a cloud focussed delivery role.
- You’re proactive and you like to solve problems. You want to get involved and make things happen, ensuring the best outcomes for your team, the business and our customers.
- You are driven to keep your technical knowledge at the cutting edge.
- Previous experience in a consultancy or professional services role.
- Solid knowledge of cloud data architecture and data modelling principles.
- Strong knowledge of Python.
Key Technical Skills:
Knowledge of most of the following:
- Orchestration of data pipelines (e.g. Airflow, DBT).
- Batch data pipelines (e.g. SQL, Pandas, Spark).
- Streaming data pipelines (e.g. Kafka, Pub/Sub, Beam).
- Data warehousing techniques (e.g. data modelling, ETL/ELT).
- GCP/AWS professional certifications
This role would be remote based, with some occasional travel to customer sites and to our office locations in Utrecht and the UK (Manchester).
What you’ll get:
In addition to the competitive salary and unlimited holiday allowance (+10 learning days), you’ll get private health insurance and company contributed pensions as standard.
You’ll be invited to the bi-annual international company ‘kick off’ conferences, which are a great chance to meet your colleagues that you don’t see everyday.
Fair Pay. Done Right.
We don't advertise salary brackets because we don't have salary brackets. We encourage conversation about your (and our) salary expectations from the off and throughout your time with us. We don't want to discourage anyone from applying because they are on significantly more or less than a "bracket".
For this role we are able to offer:
- Hybrid working - you can work from where you want, when you want.
- Flexible hours - we ask that you work during core hours (10-4) to help with collaboration, but outside of that you can work when suits you.
- A Global Working policy which additionally permits employees to work from any global location for up to 90 days a year.
We also encourage you to apply if you need;
- Compressed hours - Working full time hours during a shorter number of days.
- Job sharing - Splitting your role between you and one other person each week to get the work done.
- Part time working - Reducing the number of hours or days you work per week.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
At CTS, we look after each other and support everyone on our team. We’re proud of our people-centred culture; our diversity brings us innovation and our commitment to inclusion drives us forward. If you share these values and would be interested in joining one of our teams, get in touch today!