Data Engineering Team Lead
As a Data Engineering Team Lead you will be at the forefront of cloud technology, using your skills in a varied consulting role. You will lead and develop a team of experienced Data Engineers and Analysts in delivering client facing projects.
You’ll be a point of call for technical decisions and leadership alongside line management responsibilities.
You and your team will help diverse organisations use Google Cloud and other supporting solutions like Looker to solve complex data challenges.
You will meet with customers, potentially at the early sales stage, assessing and understanding their technical requirements. You’ll guide projects from the information and discovery stages through to implementation, build and support.
You’ll gain exposure to a wide variety of technologies and data approaches, and you will be expected to investigate the use of new technologies as they become available.
You will understand the value of our long relationship with Google, and help to grow and promote our data capabilities within their teams.
If you have a solid data engineering background, great communication and team leadership skills and are passionate about providing a great service for customers, this job would be a great opportunity for you.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and inspire an experienced team of data engineers, working with them on their skills, personal development and career growth
- Act as a technical decision maker and point of authority for delivery projects
- Become the go-to-person for delivery and sales teams to help solve Data Engineering problems
- Work with customers to translate requirements into technical designs and follow this through to delivery of the solution. You will be able to design highly available, complex data platforms, and develop others to be able to do so
- Advise customers on modern approaches to data engineering and the best approach to solve their unique problems
- Coordinate project resourcing with other areas of the business, ensuring the right people are in the right place with the right skills
- Work closely with our CTO to develop Go To Market strategies for our Data Engineering and Machine Learning offerings.
- Develop internal tooling, and improve processes, for the wider team and business.
- You will love to find ways to do things better
- Significant commercial experience in the area of data engineering or machine learning
- Extensive hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure), including the use of their data related components to build solutions
- Experience working in complex corporate customer environments
- Experience designing and building large data architectures
- Strong experience building ETL / ELT pipelines, Data Lakes and Data Warehouses
- A good understanding of some of the following:
- Hadoop / Spark
- Apache Airflow
- Apache Beam
- Relational database technologies (Microsoft SQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL)
- Analytical tools (Looker, Tableau, Qlik, Data Studio)
- Significant experience in using languages like Python, R and SQL as well as Google database services like Firestore, Cloud SQL and/or Big Query
- Previous experience in a consultancy or professional services role is highly desirable
- Masters or Doctorate in Maths, Data Science or similar
- GCP/AWS/Azure professional certifications. We’re a Google partner, but principles from other cloud providers apply.
- Experience in working in an agile project based environment
This role can be based from any of our offices in Manchester, Edinburgh, Utrecht, or it can be fully remote based. Those who choose to work remotely might be required to travel to customer sites and to CTS offices for specific meetings or events. Travel expenses will be charged back to the business.
What you’ll get:
In addition to the competitive salary and unlimited holiday allowance (+10 paid learning days), you’ll get private health insurance and company contributed pensions as standard.
We have a multitude of other benefits, including a market leading parental leave policies, health & wellbeing initiatives and access to a discounts and rewards programme (including discounted gym membership)
You’ll be invited to the bi-annual international company ‘kick off’ conferences, which are a great chance to meet your colleagues that you don’t see everyday.
Over the last 10+ years we've nurtured an open and supportive culture within CTS that has been the backbone of our growth. It’s an environment that affords our staff the flexibility they need to get the job done, whilst maintaining a proper work-life balance. A workplace that challenges traditional ways of working.
We trust our team members to take ownership of their own workload and provide them with the tools and training they need to do their job effectively, so it’s no surprise that 94% of our employees feel they are able to deliver their best work.
Diversity and Inclusion:
At CTS, we look after each other and support everyone on our team. We’re proud of our people-centred culture; our diversity brings us innovation and our commitment to inclusion drives us forward. If you share these values and would be interested in joining one of our teams, get in touch today!
Fair Pay. Done Right.
We don't advertise salary brackets because we don't have salary brackets. We encourage conversation about your (and our) salary expectations from the off and throughout your time with us. We don't want to discourage anyone from applying because they are on significantly more or less than a "bracket".